New Grandstand, Win Stadium. Wollongong
description of project
The southern home of the St George Illawarra Dragons rugby league team, WIN stadium aspires to become one of Australia’s most advanced sporting grounds. The redevelopment features 5,732 seats. Spectators also enjoy improved facilities, all of which are compliant with National Rugby League (NRL) standards. These include corporate entertainment amenities, ticketing box offices and turnstiles, concession areas, toilets and player dugouts, as well as referee and media facilities.
The new grandstand mechanical design & installation required considerable rework of initial concept design due to the rake of the building & the significant number of conditioned multi- function spaces required.
Given that the grandstand is located on the oceanfront, all materials where required to withstand the corrosive environment
Our team has worked closely with the architects to conceal the outdoor air-cooled plant high in rear of the grandstand with ducted discharges concealed by decorative panels. Due to the high people load requirements air to air heat exchanger were included into each function room system. The design included multiple coalescing air filters to help reduce the high moisture content of the outside air before entering the Air to air heat exchangers indoor fan coil locations & duct locations to fit within the restrictive envelope of these old structures
From the outset, our team ensured the seamless coordination of the mechanical services systems with electrical, fire, plumbing, structural and architectural services.
Meinhardt and Design Completion by PJSAir
Design and Construct
Value of Project:
PJS Air scope of works for thIS project
- Design development of all mechanical services to include a combination of heat pump units & VRV heat pump units to best suit the requirements of each zone & room usage
- Design co-ordination of access via set ceilings in most rooms
- acoustic evaluating each system and assurance of its fit-for-purpose
- Design & installation of ventilation system for concession holders in the concourse area
NEW EQUIPMENT INSTALLATION:
- Installation of Mitsubishi Variable Refrigerant volume systems (total 420kw) utilising a combination of 27 ducted fan coils, cassette units & wall split heads serving all the conditioned spaces
- Combination of the Mitsubishi central control systems along with a new open-protocol Direct Digital Controls (DDC) for all fans & auxiliary systems
- Installation of 10 off Air-Change air to air sensible & latent heat exchangers
- Multiple fan systems for outside & exhaust systems
DUCTED AIR COOLED CONDENSORS:
- Due to the structural & architectural design constrains, each air-cooled condenser was fitted with a low pressure drop ducted discharge, design within the static limitations of the fans
TREATMENT OF OUTSIDE AIR:
The design included multiple stainless steel mesh coalescing pre-filters to help reduce the high moisture content of the outside air before entering the air to air heat exchangers
- At all times co-ordinating with fire, electrical, plumbing, structural engineers whilst satisfying the requirements architectural & structural consultants
Due to the proximity to the ocean, where possible all items we treated for corrosion resistance or alternate materials used.
- Blygold treatment of all condensers & fan coils. These works required partial dismantling on the units & was carried out at Blygold facility in Thornleigh
- Use of Kingspan ductboard for all outside air intake ducts
- Use of stainless steel duct work
- Use of heavy galvanised supports
Use of Coalescing filters & non-corrosive materials.
100% client satisfaction.
Make an Enquiry
For all your Commercial and Industrial Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) System needs, reach out to the team at PJS Air via phone or email.
We’d welcome the opportunity to assist.